Sports massage is known to be one of the most effective natural methods for relieving pain, preventing injuries, and even curing a wide range of illnesses. It was believed that even in the ancient times, gladiators were prescribed massage before their workouts and battles to ensure a great athletic performance, as well as after their activities to facilitate a speedy muscle recovery.
Why active individuals need massage
Nowadays, both amateur and professional athletes seek the help of trusted sports therapists for a soothing sports massage. Regular sports massage treatments are highly recommended for people with an active lifestyle, especially those who often train for sports. It is ideal to incorporate sports massage in your training plan as this type of massage relaxes the muscles that may be over trained or stiff from tension.
Massage is also proven to have a calming effect on individuals who feel stressed. This is why you will surely have a wonderful experience during your deep tissue massage appointment. Massage helps improve the body’s range of motion, flexibility and relaxes the mind. At times, deep tissue massage also has aesthetic effects as this aids in releasing the tension from stiff muscles, therefore improving the appearance of the body, as well as giving you a renewed feeling of energy.
Should you get a sports massage before or after workout?
The great news is there are numerous benefits of getting a sports massage pre-workout and post-workout. However, your body’s response to a massage may differ from another’s, so it may be wise to try a massage before and after your workout on different days to determine the best time to get a sports massage. Below are some benefits that you may experience when getting a sports massage:
- Pre-workout massage with light strokes increases focus for those who are preparing for a race or a long workout routine, as it helps to warm up your muscles and increase flexibility.
- Post-workout massage decreases muscle inflammation at the same time it speeds up your body’s cell recovery, therefore reducing downtime after your workout!
- Sports massage can leave you feeling pumped and invigorated before workouts as it improves blood and oxygen flow in the body. The result is an increased endurance that helps you last longer during strenuous workouts.
- Getting a sports massage after your workout alleviates the effects of DOMS or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness that you may find uncomfortable within 24 to 72 hours after workout.
- Getting a regular sports massage helps prevent sports injuries. It is good to note that some injuries are caused by over training without allowing the body to recover.
All these reasons and more show the powerful benefits of a sports massage. So, the next time you think of skipping the massage therapy, remember that your body is your sanctuary that must be cared for. How you treat your body will affect not only your health, but also your outlook in life. Don’t you notice how much better your day goes when you’re feeling your best?
Sports massage can help you prevent injuries, so no need to wait until you feel discomfort or pain before getting massage therapy—make time for self-care so you can keep your body and mind in top shape!
Are you in the South Bay near Torrance or Hermosa Beach? Come and see me! Use the button below to book your appointment.