Have you ever felt like something was missing in your daily activities that hindered you from feeling truly happy? Movies on-demand, social media, and video games are just some of the most common sources of happiness nowadays, but did you know that playing sports can also boost your mood big time?
The Benefits of Playing Sports
Physical activities are beneficial for both men and women, and kids and adults. Aside from reducing depression and anxiety, playing sports has several other known benefits such as improving the following:
- Communication skills and social interaction
- Problem-solving skills
- Determination and goal-setting skills for students
- Leadership skills
- Weight management
It’s no secret that sports improve our overall health. Whether you are stressed at work or in school, engaging in physical activities for a few minutes each day can do wonders for your mind, body, and soul.
The Connection Of Brain To Sports:
The feeling that you experience while playing sports is contributed by the two main brain-boosting chemicals inside your body:
When you’re moving energetically across the court or field, your body starts producing a feel-good chemical called dopamine. This signals your brain that everything is going well right now and perks your brain up. Interacting with the pleasure and reward center of our brain, dopamine — along with other chemicals like serotonin, oxytocin, and endorphins — plays a vital role in how happy we feel. In addition to our mood, dopamine also affects movement, memory, and focus. When you exercise, you provide a low-dose jolt to the brain’s reward centers—the system of the brain that helps you anticipate pleasure, feel motivated, and maintain hope. Over time, regular exercise remodels the reward system, leading to higher circulating levels of dopamine and more available dopamine receptors.
Regular exercise can also positively impact serotonin levels in your brain. Raising your levels of serotonin boosts your mood and overall sense of well-being. It can also help improve your appetite and sleep cycles, which are often negatively affected by depression.
Choosing the Right Type of Sports for You
Choosing the sport to engage in can be daunting for newbies and first-timers, but don’t fret, depending on your preferences, you have several sports to choose from such as:
Individual sports – This type of sport helps improve one’s self-reliance, discipline, and passion. Individual sports challenge athletes to beat their personal records and makes them responsible for their own wins and losses. Here are some common examples:
- Rodeo events
Team sports – There are endless advantages to playing team sports such as camaraderie and knowing that you have other people to rely on for support and encouragement. Engaging in team sports particularly helps children learn about sportsmanship and cooperation in order to achieve their goals as a team. You can check out the following sports if you’re into playing with a team:
- Water polo
It is also important to keep in mind that all sports entail unique challenges that can be tough to deal with at first, but eventually, the values and fulfillment you’ll reap will make you a truly happier person.
Recovering from Sports and Injury Prevention
All types of sports can become hazardous for the body if programs are not executed properly. Anyone who engages in sports must remember that rest is also an important part of training. If you’re serious about improving your strength and overall performance, keep these tips in mind to prevent injuries:
- Make sure you have adequate levels of sleep to maximize your recovery period. Sleep loss often leads to poor performance and increases the risk of getting injured due to poor balance and postural control.
- Seek advice from certified nutritionists and dietitians for personalized and proper meal plans that will help achieve your fitness goals.
- Apply proper warm-up and cool-down techniques during your training days helps in avoiding Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) as well as ensuring that your heart rate is a safe resting rate after exercise.
- Consult professional massage therapists who can help in addressing your concerns about body aches and muscle soreness. Massage therapy sessions are also a great way to relax and reduce stress levels.
- Limit your alcohol intake, instead, consume adequate amounts of water daily to regulate body temperature and maintain blood volume, even when you are not playing sports.
You hold the keys to living the life you’ve always wanted. Find a sport that interests you and discover the happiness that social interaction and fitness can offer. By playing sports, you can discover your inner strength and be an inspiration to those who are trying to find their way, too.
Live in or near the Hermosa, Manhattan, or Redondo Beach area and need a massage for those aching muscles? Let me help. Book your massage by clicking the button below.