Weightlifting is an activity in which barbells or other heavy weights are lifted for exercise or sport. It has many incredible benefits to the body like building and strengthening your muscles. According to experts, weightlifting also improves posture, increases bone density, maintains weight loss, and it may even help improve your quality of sleep.
However, just like any physical activity, weightlifting can also strain the muscles and cause injury if not done properly. Some of the most common injuries that weightlifters sustain are muscle and joint damage, herniated disc, which causes back pain, tennis elbow and SLAP tear, which are both upper body injuries and can affect your attitude towards exercise.
How to Avoid Injuries During Weightlifting
To make the most out of your weightlifting exercises, you must remember to not overdo it and practice the correct weightlifting form, amongst other things.
Here are some of important tips for injury prevention during weightlifting:
- Start slowly – If you are a beginner, do not be discouraged if you observe that you are only able to lift a few pounds. Your body will eventually get used to training with weights and you will progress in no time!
- Find a personal trainer– Learning proper technique helps prevent injuries during weightlifting, so you’ll need the help of a trainer to learn this. Find a certified coach or consult a physiologist if you want to make sure that you are doing exercises properly.
- Set a goal – With the help of your coach, you can now set smart goals for your training program. Keep in mind that your program should consider your age, capabilities, and specific needs. You should also consider seeing a doctor before starting any strenuous activities or going into a new exercise program.
- Give your body time to recover – Those feel good hormones that exercise give you may cause you to want to train as much as you can, but keep in mind that muscles need time to recover. Rest is as important as the workout. Avoid training the same group of muscles every day, and seek the help of a registered massage therapist for a sports massage to aid in your recovery and for injury prevention.
The Benefits of Sports Massage for Weightlifters and Bodybuilders
Gym buffs are no stranger to soreness and body pain. Almost every type of exercise is bound to cause you soreness for a few days, especially when you’re just starting out. Weightlifters are subject to microscopic tears to their muscle fibers during training, which is not entirely bad. When these muscles heal, they become bigger and stronger as they adapt to training. However, if not addressed, muscle aches can also hinder you from performing well and may lead to a more serious damage on your body.
To help ease your worries about getting injuries related to weightlifting, you must ensure that your body is well-prepared for your training program. Here are some of the incredible benefits of massage for weightlifters:
- Sports massage aids in blood circulation – Improved circulation results in your muscles getting all the oxygen and nutrient-rich blood that is necessary for strength and recovery.
- Massage improves range of motion and flexibility for weightlifters – Good flexibility is needed to practice proper form and achieve optimal performance. However, if your muscles are always tight and stiff, you will be prone to injury during weightlifting.
- Sports massage for pain management in weightlifters – Although it is common to feel discomfort during or after weightlifting, pain is also a clear sign that something is wrong. You may consult a professional massage therapist about Myofascial Release and its benefits in treating chronic pain.
Sports massage is essential for weightlifters of all levels. If you are a beginner at working out, massage therapy can help you recover quicker and become stronger in no time. Serious weightlifters and body builders can also feel a long-lasting alleviation of muscle tension and stiffness when massage therapy is done regularly.
Overall, massage therapy helps improve your abilities in order to make the most out of your training program. Make room for a professional massage in your weightlifting program and see yourself thrive in the gym and in your daily life.
In the South Bay? Come and see me for your sports massage needs! I’m located in Hermosa Beach near Manhattan Beach, and Torrance. Click to book your massage.